Friday, September 19, 2008

Modern Feminism: An update

I was discussing the topic in the post below with someone and they had some interesting points so I thought I would share them with you.

"I think girls lose their clothing first because they are usually in a more objectified/submissive role (the object of desire as opposed to being the aggressor/initiator of sex). This position is not necessarily a powerless one. The ability to accept or reject sexual advances without the fear of rejection (which is something the aggressor/initiator constantly has to deal with) is arguably a more powerful position. The ability to be in control while seeming to be powerless. Think of it as veto power. I think it's less about power than about the roles men and women typically assume."

I can't stand gender roles. Woman's roles tend to be seen as inferior and thus are not imbued with the sort of authority and power that a man's would be. I just think that men and women shouldn't have to play these parts.

I do like your comment about having veto power. I totally know how that works. I completely know how to act in order to get a guy to want me.

Bottom line, I hate having to play a role. I just want to do what I like without having to fear being labeled as a slut or crazy or a freak. I just want to be me.

No comments: