Friday, September 19, 2008

Musical Tastes Vs. Societal Expectations

Dear Flights of Fancy,

I have something to confess. I have never told anyone this, not even Rob. That I am confessing this to you means I am willing to take our relationship seriously.

Many of the bands I spend the most amount of time and energy dissing I secretly really like. I may go on and on about how new Green Day sucks but that is because I secretly really like "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and may be able to sing along to it. Everyone I know thinks that song is crap so I am too scared to admit I like it.

But no more! One of the points of our relationship is to figure out how societal norms have effected how I perceive myself and others. I shall proudly scream from the rooftops my love of "Famous Last Words," "Teenagers," and of course "Boulevard of Broken Dreams."

XOXO,

Gnome

No comments: